1. Problem Definition
Refer to my W10 Blog (https://simatupangaace2014.wordpress.com/2013/11/09/w10_tom_developing-wbs-risk-register-for-our-lovely-house-brownfield-project-by-using-humphreys-earned-value-project-management-technique/) that Our Lovely House Renovation Project WBS and Risk Register have been drafted and further in this W11 blog I will finalize the WBS and the Risk Register.
2. Development of Feasible Alternative
– I was developing my WBS by using the OmniClass template however prior to the WBS finalization I would like to compare it with other existing proven format (i.e. from internet) whether my developed WBS is well comparable or not.
– Refer to Dr. Paul’s comment to my W10 blog, I will compare Humphrey’s Risk Register VS Dr. PDG Simatupang AACE Class 2014 (Day 3, slide #53) VS Other Risk Template.
3. Development Outcomes for Alternatives
Figure 1, 2, and 3 is showing three (3) others WBS Templates to be compared with OmniClass developed WBS.
Figure 1 – Construction of a House WBS (example 1)
Figure 2 – Construction of a House WBS (example 2)
Figure 3 – Construction of a House WBS (example 3)
Figure 4, 5, and 6 is showing three (3) others Risk Register Templates to be compared with Humphrey’s developed Risk Register.
Figure 4 – Risk Register (Example 1)
Source: Gimammalvo, Paul D. AACE Certification Preparation Class, Day 3 Slide, Jakarta, 26-30 August 2013.
Figure 5 – Risk Register (Example 2)
Figure 6 – Risk Register (Example 3)
4. Selection of Criteria
As recommended by Dr. Paul, I have tried to compare Humphrey’s Risk Register against PDG and some other references and the result is shown in Figure 7.
Figure 7 – Risk Register Comparison
Source: Author’s Data
5. Analysis of the Alternative
Figure 7 saying that Humphrey’s Risk Register template is one of the very good or most comprehensive one however it does not include EMV and Risk Ranking on it and Humphrey’s risk analysis is mixing between the quantitative and qualitative therefore difficult to rank which risk is the most priority to be manageable.
6. Selection of Preferred Alternative
Considering the complexity and the sum budget of the project thus I decided not to fully adopted OmniClass Standardization to develop our house brownfield project WBS.
Instead, I will combine OmniClass guideline with example of House Construction WBS from several references (internet).
Figure 8 is showing the result of Our Lovely Brownfield Project WBS.
Figure 8 – Our Lovely House Brownfield Project WBS
Source: Author’s data.
Referring to the result of Figure 7, I have decided to update my risk register template (refer to my W10 blog) by combining it with Dr. PDG’s format and the result is shown in Figure 9.
Figure 9 – Our Lovely House Brownfield Project updated Risk Register
Source: Author’s data.
7. Performance Monitoring & Post Evaluation Result.
My project WBS and Risk Register finally are developed following the Humphrey’s Project Management using Earned Value as well with using very good reference such as OmniClass, Dr. PDG reference, etc. However this is not a final WBS and Risk Register since these are living documents and to be updated based on specific requirement or circumstances.
In W12 blog I will continue to step 3&4 of the Humphrey’s step by step process.
Humphreys, G. C. (2011). Project management using earned value (2nd ed.). Orange, CA: Humphreys & Associates, Inc.
United States. Government Accountability Office (2012). GAO schedule assessment guide: Best Practices for project schedules (GAO-12-120G). Retrieved from U.S. Govt. Accountability Office website: http://www.gao.gov/products/GAO-12-120G
3D-WBS.Blogspot.com. 3D Work Breakdown Structure, A Jean-Yves Moine’s Method. Retrieved on 6-Nov-13 from: http://3d-wbs.blogspot.com/
Standard.no. Norsok Standard. Retrieved on 6-Nov-13 from http://www.standard.no/PageFiles/22773/Z-014%20Edition%202%20May%202012.pdf
Omniclass.org. The Omniclass Construction Classification System. Retrieved on 6-Nov-13 from: http://www.omniclass.org/
- Matchware.com. WBS Template: Construction of A House. Retrieved on 7-Nov-13 from: http://www.matchware.com/en/templates/wbs-template-construction-of-a-house.php
- Workbreakdownstructure.com. Retrieved on 12-Nov-13 from: https://www.workbreakdownstructure.com/100-percent-rule-work-breakdown-structure.php
- Docushare.sfu.ca. Retrieved on 12-Nov-13 from: https://docushare.sfu.ca/dsweb/Get/Rendition-438597/index.htm
- Projectmanagementdocs.com. Retrieved on 12-Nov-13 from: http://www.projectmanagementdocs.com/project-planning-templates/risk-register.html
- WordPress.com. Simatupang AACE 2014 Class. Tommy Edward Blog W10. Retrieved on 12-Nov-13 from: https://simatupangaace2014.wordpress.com/2013/11/09/w10_tom_developing-wbs-risk-register-for-our-lovely-house-brownfield-project-by-using-humphreys-earned-value-project-management-technique/