In my second attemp for AACE certification course, the project team has been formed with the name Simatupang_AACE_2014 in the five days in class 26 to 30 Aug 2013. The position now is early of the 1st week of the long-distance learning activities that will take 22 weeks. At this time, important knowing the position or at what stage the team is and what type of leadership that is suitable for it. It is necessary so each team member will be aware of what stage the team is and can make a positive contribution for the betterment of the team.
2. Development of Feasible Alternatives
Dr Bruce Tuckman introduce a model Forming-Storming-Norming-Performing in 1965 to help determine the behavior and development of the team or organization in order to determine its position. The characteristic of this model are:
- Forming : High dependence, little agreement, roles unclear.
- Storming : Decisions don’t come easily, clarity of purpose increases, tim need to be focused.
- Norming : Agreement is largely forms among the team, roles are clear, general respect for leader.
- Performing : Strategically aware, knows clearly why it is doing what it is doing, focus achieving goals.
Figure 1 : Tuckman Model
Hersey and Blanchard’s introducing ‘Situational Leadership’ that can be adjusted with the model Forming-Storming-norming-performing from Tuckman. Situational Leadership Model as follows:
- Telling mode for forming
Selling mode for storming
Participating mode for norming
Delegating mode for performing
Figure 2 : Situational Leadership
3. Development Outcomes for alternative
By providing quesioner to each member of the team to be filled, it can be seen at the position where the team is located. Quesioner consists of 32 questions with five possible answers. Each answer is value 1 to 5. The question will be divided into 4 groups, each group representing a team position.
Figure 3 : Tuckman Survey
Figure 4 : Grouping of Question
4. Selection of Criteria
All the result of quisioner fill in the excel program and calculate using PERT, best case-worst case-most likely to find the mean value and determine the P90 value.
5. Analysis of the Alternatives
The results of the survey to the team Simatupang_AACE_2014 are as follows:
Figure 5 : File : PERT – W1 Blog on Tuckman-updated as of Sep 02, 2013
6. Selection of Preferred Alternative
Conclusions from the survey is that the team is on stage performing. The type of leadership that matches the stage performing is delegating.
7. Performance Monitoring and Post-Evaluation of Result
In my opinion, the results of the survey do not reflect the actual situation considering may be there is misunderstanding in understanding the questions asked in the survey. In the next few weeks will be more visible to determine stage of the team. However, this technique is very usefull to give a team or organizational info of behavior due to ease of application.
- Tuckman, Bruce (1965). Developmental sequence in small groups. Retrieved from http://www.findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_qa3945/is_200104/ai_n8943663
- Tuckman, Bruce. Stage of group development. Retrieved from http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tuckman’s_stages_of_group_development
- Donald Clark (January 1, 1998. Last update – April 21, 2002). Working on Teams: What Stage is our Team is?. Retrieved from http://www.nwlink.com/~donclark/leader/leader.htm